February 9, 2015
photo by Bryan Derballa for J.Crew and Outdoor Voices activewear
I have never been a runner. Though I've gone through phases of running throughout my life, it has never been a sustainable part of my lifestyle. Barre, yoga, pilates, and controlled toning are my jam. Endurance sports, not so much. However! I finally realized one reason I feel so exerted and am quick to give up running is that my pace is too fast right out of the gate. I need to slow it down and even out my speed.
As I commit to more cardio work, and I tread the pavement toward my February 2015 goal of running 2 miles every other day, I've discovered a trick: rather than listening to upbeat pop playlists that encourage a fast pace and fluster my heartrate, I am listening to smooth music like Reggae jams and the Grateful Dead. These songs are uplifting, and they help keep my mind relaxed.
I've created this Chill Run playlist for my new running mindset. To others, these songs might sound better for cooling down or stretching. They're simply happy, relaxing tunes that I hope you'll enjoy too.
1. "54-46 Was My Number" by Toots & The Maytals
2. "Wanted Dread and Alive" by Peter Tosh
3. "Jamming" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
4. "Let It Go" by Michael Franti & Spearhead
5. "Wildfire" by John Mayer
6. "Sugar Magnolia" by Grateful Dead
7. "Pressure Drop" by Toots & The Maytals
8. "Call Me The Breeze" by John Mayer
9. "Friend Of The Devil" by Grateful Dead
10. "Hey Now Now" by Michael Franti & Spearhead
11. "Truckin'" by Grateful Dead